Thursday, March 24, 2011

Good love.

Being in a relationship is much harder than you've ever imagined it would be. Highschool makes it seem easy; almost carefree, full of bliss, and so joyful. Don't get me wrong, it is all those things, but it definitely isn't easy. Anyone that tries to tell you being in love is easy is probably just lying to you. Or maybe they're just less selfish than I am. So then maybe they're Jesus. Exactly my point: they're just lying to you.

Let me explain. Love is all it's cracked up to be. It enhances your life, it's comforting, it's a gift from God when you find the person you're meant to be with... but it's so hard. Love is the most selfless act you'll be forced to master, and to have to act that out on a daily basis is just hard. You're forced to lay down yourself and your needs every day as an act of constantly putting someone else's needs before your own selfish desires. Love is like a foreign strand of thought that is forced to tangle with your other more needy and selfish strands of thought, but this strand requires an immediate change in your course of action. It means you no longer get to do what you want to do, just because you think it's the right thing. Now you do what's the right thing for both of you.

But when you get love right, it's good. You learn to depend on the growth that it brings you. You depend on the emotion that you feel when you feel yourself becoming 1 instead of 2. It grows you up, it stretches you and makes you more Christ like. You learn to forgive and move forward, to right your wrongs immediately instead of letting them linger. It makes you work harder than you've ever had to work before, and pushes you to achieve new levels of success. Good love makes you want to try, makes you want to work, makes you want to be the best person you can be. Good love strives together, cries together, prays together and daily dies to themselves for the sanctity of the relationship and the other persons well being.

I have good love, and I'm so blessed. I'm not always right, in fact almost never, but I am blessed to daily get the chance to try and be better. I'm grateful that he gives me more opportunities to be wrong than I deserve, and that he chooses to still love me when I fail. I'm grateful that he keeps me centered and balanced and reminds me to continually put God first. He daily reminds me that in all hard work there is profit, and that I'm not allowed to give up when it gets hard. And although this love isn't easy, I do have good love and I'd be dumb to ever let it go.

3 comments:

Kara Kimball said...

Thank you for this...you are just giving me little pieces of wisdom all over the place :) :)

Love or Nothing said...

amen girl. love can be so hard in any relationship.. truth.

Katie said...

I didn't know you had a blog! YESSSS! :) loved this post... nuggets of truth all up in this piece!