
My parents are my heroes. They are. I don't tell them this enough, and I think they need to hear it.
I grew up in a house with big ceilings and a huge backyard. Big enough for our
olympic games and Mindy and
I's science lab. Big enough for a garden in the side yard and a full bar set for Catherine to practice her gymnastics on. Big enough for fruit trees of every kind and a trampoline that I could break limbs on. My childhood was fantastic. My siblings and I were
privileged beyond belief. We all got to play any sport we wanted, had a lot of best friends, lots of clothes and a
homecooked meal every night. We went on vacations, traveled around the world and celebrated every holiday. I love my childhood.

They have the marriage that I want. They put God at the center of it, and after thirty years of marriage they are more in love with each other today than they were before. When I fall in love, I want to marry someone like my Daddy. I want him to be caring and considerate, well respected and beyond friendly. I want him to love Jesus with the same passion that my own Dad does and I want him to want to lead me closer to God the same way that my Dad does my Mom. My daddy loves us. I have never even questioned the truth of that statement because I see how affectionate he is with us even when we do stupid things. He encourages us when we're down, he fixes our mistakes (knives in the car, anyone?), he answers the phone with "Hey beautiful!" every time I call, and he always has a kiss waiting for me when I see him. I love my daddy. Never once have I seen him succumb to gossip or say things to demean someone
else's character, even when put on the spot, and his fearless ability to lead both our family and other people is something that I will always stand in awe of. I will never question the Father's love for me, because my own Daddy taught me what love was first. Daddy, I respect you as my father, as my pastor and I thank you for being such a loving husband to Mom. You are the best example of Christ to me, and I don't think you realize how often I learn from you when you don't even know I'm watching.
I had no idea how lucky I was growing up in my mother's house until I didn't live there anymore.

Her constant love and warmth is something that I miss constantly. I also really miss her food, but that's for purely selfish reasons. My mom is the only person that I will call 15 times in a row until she answers (how annoying of me), and every voicemail that I leave her sounds like this, "
mooooooooooooooooom, call me
baaaaack!". I've never met a woman who is more committed to her relationship with God, her husband and her family. My mom gives up everything so that we can have anything. And I would never want her to think that goes unnoticed. I'm 21 and I still cry for her when I get hurt, I still want her to hold me and tell me it will be okay and I still want her to pray for me before I go to sleep every night. I don't think she realizes how much I strive to be like her. I try to keep a journal because she journals so diligently. I read books because she loves to read books. I try to bake because she loves to bake. I pray a lot because she is the best example of a woman with a praying heart. I try to be creative because she is the most creative person that I will EVER know and I love my dimples because they mirror her own. I know no better example of someone that loves their husband or their family more than my Mom. I love you Mommy, and I can't thank you enough for being such a beautiful woman of God. You teach me to love more every day, and I don't think you take enough credit for what a perfect home you gave us to grow up in. You are God's gift to Catherine, Michael, Caroline, Daddy and I, and because of your humility you will probably never know that.
Today, as we're all almost grown up and turning into adults, none of us are spoiled or bratty or put too much importance on money. We all have dreams, passions and a relationship with God. We know that family will always be there and that there is nothing God can't take care of. I actually can't imagine how hard it's been to raise all four of us, and I know that you guys' have hidden most of the struggle from us, but you both are the reason that we're as stable as we are today and the reason that we'll all be so successful in the future. My love for you both is deeper than a love that can be expressed with words, and is a love that only comes from growing up knowing that I was first loved by you.
with a million hugs and kisses,
your
Bethie
3 comments:
Libby,
This blog entry is the best possible gift that you could EVER have given your parents. They are the best and I'm not saying that because your dad is my brother :). Love and miss you,
Aunt Dette
well, I'm crying. This is so beautiful. My favorite line is "I love my dimples because they mirror her own." love it love it love it.
Libby, you are a incredible writer, I am so proud of you. Great job. You do have amazing parents. Thanks for sharing from you heart.
Post a Comment